Feeling stuck in my studio last week, I decided to work on an old unfinished project – or rather, a “work-in-progress” (there, then it sounds like I intended to leave it unfinished ‘til now.)
This is a sampler quilt I started in one of my first quilting classes 18 months ago. I pulled out the blocks, discarded a bunch of the way-too-crooked learner’s efforts, made a bunch more, (got happy by noticing how much my technical skill has improved since I last worked on this project!) got rid of the too-cute elements and put it up on the design wall.
It turned out better than I had hoped, though it’s still it a bit precious. I am seeing that I really prefer working improvisationally instead. Still, this one has been fun!
Here are two images of playing around with the layout and sashing color – darker purple batik versus light lavender printed cotton:
I decided to go with the trees-on-the-top layout, and since I did not have enough of the darker sashing, I think I will use that for the binding instead. I plan to send this one to my mom when it is done.